What music do you listen to keep the black dog away?(Depression)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aussiemike

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I have been a bit flat,down and depressed recently due to things going on. Nothing major but put on some sea shanty's and it lifted my mood and took me to the deck of a pirate ship arrrrr.
I have a this sticker on my car,

1725379144876.png

and live by this mantra,

1725379473487.png

This is my go to,

Just wondering what music you listen to when you need a moral lift to get out of the doldrums?

Last edited:
Agree with Marley and Buffett, like both, also biker road songs, Eagles, Marshall Tucker, etc, but being a cowboy at heart I usually fall back on cowboy songs. Marty Robbins, Toby Kieth, Garth Brooks, Willy Nelson, and of course Chris LaDeaux.

Wagner, Suk, Strauss. The beauty and emotion I find in classical and opera is comforting to me. I also go for near anything from the late 90s and early 2000s as its nostalgic to me. Though some think it politically incorrect, music from the IRA cheers me up.
Old time radio and shows such as The Andy Griffith Program are also good for my heart. Escapism to a time I perceive as having been better, though I did not experience it.

Wagner, Suk, Strauss. The beauty and emotion I find in classical and opera is comforting to me. I also go for near anything from the late 90s and early 2000s as its nostalgic to me. Though some think it politically incorrect, music from the IRA cheers me up.
Old time radio and shows such as The Andy Griffith Program are also good for my heart. Escapism to a time I perceive as having been better, though I did not experience it.
Just hearing the themes songs from the Andy Griffith show and Gilligan's Island makes me smile. It's like you said, simpler times.

I'm a tone and production person in general, but they become evermore significant when I'm in a down state. I want lush, warm tones. I find them cozy and comfortable. The first two Bill Withers albums immediately come to mind. I'd also say Simon & Garfunkel The Concert in Central Park. A free, summer day concert to 200,000 people in NYC, and the vibe is pure joy and release. You can feel it. It'll give you goosebumps. I'm sure these are all on youtube.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_as_I_Am_(Bill_Withers_album)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Still_Bill

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Concert_in_Central_Park

and probably the most beautiful album I've ever heard...because beauty that transcends into the sublime is always a positive distraction from the darkness. this one doesn't have a wiki page, so here's the album on youtube. Between - And The Waters Opened.

*I'd also bring up some Grateful Dead, but you know...maybe not your thing.

Agree with Marley and Buffett, like both, also biker road songs, Eagles, Marshall Tucker, etc, but being a cowboy at heart I usually fall back on cowboy songs. Marty Robbins, Toby Kieth, Garth Brooks, Willy Nelson, and of course Chris LaDeaux.
Man, the Red Headed Stranger album got me through some tough times at about 18 yo.

Who me? Well, OK.

I get joy from watching/listening to young women who start out on various “talent” shows (AGT, AM IDOL, the VOICE, etc.) and are amazing re talent & performance.

Try Angelina Jordan who started out at about 6 y.o. on the Norway show and ended up in the USA. She does blues, jazz and modern. When she sings a Billie Holiday song she IS Billie Holiday. Same when she does Ella Fitzgerald, etc. She’s like 20 y.o. now and has a long list of stuff to listed to. Stunning.

Then there’s Jackie Evancho (both as young and as current age), Sara James, Connie Talbot, Gala, Abi Carter (recently as adult), Lucy Thomas, etc.