Why can't Missouri Meerschaum include stronger stems on their cobs?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
MM has just recently introduced strong acrylic stems on a 2 or 3 of their pipes- at about double the price. How hard would it be to put strong acrylic stems on most of their pipes? Those cheap plastic stems get crimped so easily.
I figure, adding a $3-4 upcharge to the price and by using identically shaped stems, would not break their bank. Or how about this: Provide an option to choose strong acrylic stems with most cobs at an upcharge, but not doubling the cost of the pipe?
Thoughts?
Peter

Dohohohoho
That was terrible and what's more terrible is that I laughed at it.

I sincerely wish MM cobs had the option for nicer stems. I love a cob but I really dislike plastic stems and I think it would be much better to have something like vulcanite or some other material.
I think it'd be real cool if somebody who works with stone could make stems out of a soft rock like soapstone.
Stem material is definitely something I think many a pipe manufacturer could and should do some experiments with.

Get yourself a pack of 50 small softy pipe bits for a few bucks off of Amazon. They go on the end of the stem like a foreskin and prevent you from messing up the stem with your teeth. Also make for a better experience in general.