Beginning Pipe Collection

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I set every pipe I've smoked in the sun for a few hours, thus speeding up the dry out process. I know, I'm sure one of you aficionados will tell me how both infrared and ultraviolet light rays degrade all manner of pipe materials. Guess I feel pipes are a functional item vs a collector's item. I do clean each out after their suntans, and once in a great while soak cleaning brushes in 91% isopropyl alcohol and run them through, (Would that degrade the pipes also?).

I set every pipe I've smoked in the sun for a few hours, thus speeding up the dry out process. I know, I'm sure one of you aficionados will tell me how both infrared and ultraviolet light rays degrade all manner of pipe materials. Guess I feel pipes are a functional item vs a collector's item. I do clean each out after their suntans, and once in a great while soak cleaning brushes in 91% isopropyl alcohol and run them through, (Would that degrade the pipes also?).
Not sure about degrade. I only use isopropyl on pipe one time with salt if its an estate pipe to clean. For regular cleaning I use
1728863739387.png
(y)
I am trying to stay away from isocol, as on a few pipes especially cherry woods it takes ages to lose the ghosting taste/smell.
I will try rum or vodka and salt on the next old estate.

Last edited: