Park Lane - 'The Connoisseurs Flake'

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
This one isn't exactly unknown but I would call it under the radar. It deserves better, and a wider audience of appreciative puffers to sing its praises. 

Tin Description: "[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A rich and elusive mixture of over 15 different tobaccos! The best Ribbon Cut Virginia's, Virginia Flake, Pressed Virginia cake, Mild Cavendish, and a tiny bit of lightly flavored Sweet Cavendish all come together to deliver a rough but ready rubbed tobacco that delivers a big Virginia taste, with a slightly sweet finish. If you were a fan of "Scottish Ribbon", a fantastic tobacco made by Ed in the Connoisseur shop in NY, you should give this one a try."[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]There's quite an interesting back story on this one, involving it being designed by blender Paul Boniquisti to replicate the Scottish Ribbon blend that was no longer being made, then sent out to a jury group for trials, etc. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Far better than me attempting to describe it would be for you to get the full story by reading the reviews at the Review Site. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=T&TID=3763[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]It's light, subtle, mild and an absolutely delicious all day winner. Sip this one - and if you're a fan of complex VA blends it should do you well. [/font]

JKenP, most of the Park-Lane blends, including the Connisseurs, are available through their website.  Their Bengal & Red Paramour are very good as well, top shelf blends IMHO.

Here's a link - http://cigarsandpipes.com/

Thanks,  I found it.

Went to order 4 oz.  $11.50 and reasonable.

Computed the shipping $15.92 ground.  That seems excessive.  

With all the Christmas Cheer hype, I wanted a tin and shipping from 4noggins was a shade over 5-bucks 3-day.

It is like listening to a chalk board's scrape to do business with those who multiply their profit on shipping.

$15 for 4 oz is ridiculous. I'd call the shop and see if that's accurate. 

I traded for my tins. Got 2 of the Connoisseurs and 1 Red Cracker (official nickname for Red Paramour). All over a couple of years old. Lucky me.

Not only was the shipping cost high, they have a $20.00 MINIMUM order amount. So much for trying that blend  :evil: :evil:

I received a sample of this blend a couple years ago with an order I made with Park Lane. It came unasked for so it was clearly one they were quite proud of and wanted to get the word out.

My limited experience with this baccy left me with the impression that it was tasty enough stuff, but typical and thus forgettable. It may be worth giving it another look though.

I stop by that shop occasionally (will be even more now with P&C leaving Albany) and that is the blend I always buy a few ounces to smoke in the shop. I'm not a big VA guy, but it's a nice change of pace. That shipping does sound wacky, might be worth a call to see if that is correct. If memory serves, DocWatson was a big Connoisseurs Flake fan.

It's accurate all right. I just put two tins into a cart and it came out as $18 to ship. Only UPS are available it seems, and there's a note telling you to call if you want USPS shipping. But I've never seen UPS Ground cost that kind of money for 4 oz. of product. 

Without identifying myself as a member of BoB, I sent them the following email:

"I just plugged a couple of tins of Red Paramour into my cart and got the quote for shipping. 

Over $18 to ship 2 tins? I know the nickname for RP is Red Crack...but I'm not THAT addicted! 

Gentlemen, if you want to have any Internet business you have GOT to rethink that situation. Or if you THINK your online sales are doing OK you are absolutely living in a fantasy world. 

It's been years since I sent a note like this to a vendor, but really, you have to know you're hurting yourselves. If it was a little more than other vendors it wouldn't be so remarkable. But I could name half a dozen other vendors that would ship me two tins for less than half of your amount. Some of them would be at one third! Anyone encountering the figure you quoted would HAVE to assume they were being taken advantage of...and they'd be right. 

Guess I'll have to look elsewhere."

Pretty sure they'll cry themselves to sleep tonight. :lol:

Nicely stated. Lets see how they respond. If not in the right manner, I'll be sure to bust their chops in person on the next trip up.

Blackhorse":kmlnzvmx said:
It's accurate all right. I just put two tins into a cart and it came out as $18 to ship. Only UPS are available it seems, and there's a note telling you to call if you want USPS shipping. But I've never seen UPS Ground cost that kind of money for 4 oz. of product. 

Without identifying myself as a member of BoB, I sent them the following email:

"I just plugged a couple of tins of Red Paramour into my cart and got the quote for shipping. 

Over $18 to ship 2 tins? I know the nickname for RP is Red Crack...but I'm not THAT addicted! 

Gentlemen, if you want to have any Internet business you have GOT to rethink that situation. Or if you THINK your online sales are doing OK you are absolutely living in a fantasy world. 

It's been years since I sent a note like this to a vendor, but really, you have to know you're hurting yourselves. If it was a little more than other vendors it wouldn't be so remarkable. But I could name half a dozen other vendors that would ship me two tins for less than half of your amount. Some of them would be at one third! Anyone encountering the figure you quoted would HAVE to assume they were being taken advantage of...and they'd be right. 

Guess I'll have to look elsewhere."

Pretty sure they'll cry themselves to sleep tonight. :lol:

Blackhorse":hivq4iye said:
riff raff - I'm thinkin' you might be my newest best friend and blend procurer! lol
You pay, I'll buy and ship! Sadly the NY taxes on tobacco in the store are nuts, but bulk is a little less than the tins.

Al,
You are correct about Connoisseurs Flake. I love the stuff and it is Better than what Burak used to sell in his Manhattan shop!! And Red Paramour is addictive. LOL
As for shipping, I'll take your word about cost being steep. I don't see why it can't be shipped First Class Post for less than $4.00. You can ship up to 13 ounces as First Class mail in an envelope for reasonable cost, or even Priority Mail small flat rate box for $6.00

I have dealt with these guys before and found them very accommodating. I would be interested in hearing the response to Blackhorse. Heck, they sent me a sampler pack some months back. Can't believe the cost is correct unless it has something to do with tobacco nazi's in good ol NY.

RE: Shipping in a First Class envelope. Be careful with that option. Depending on the attitude of the person behind the counter if the envelope isn't within VERY specific thickness guidelines you get popped for Priority rate. Even a big padded envelope is supposed to be able to be run through a machine to get the "stamp". If it doesn't fit then you get hit for '' special handling", which is the boost to Priority. From what I understand it's pretty much a crap shoot. 

RE: The response from Park - Lane came in from 'Rich' quite quickly. Here it is:

We do offer Priority Mail as a shipping option as well. I just took a look at our system and there appears to be problem with the USPS option. We will have the people who maintain our site look at it and correct the problem.

In the mean time if you would like to call us at (888) 648-6225, we will be happy to take your order over the phone. I will be here until 9:00 pm. If you can't call this evening the store opens at 9:00 am.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Cheers,

Rich"

I emailed right back, asking for the rate to my zip code for the Priority option he mentioned, on two tins (the number I had initially used to get above the $20 minimum purchase). I also asked if the rate would differ greatly for 8 oz. of bulk (again, the amount to break the $20 barrier). 

I'll post that reply as well.

Not that RR isn't worthy, but that relationship to a vendor and any resulting nominations of Representatives need Council and/or Board approval. 

I think that typically a relationship with a vendor is established in order to secure a discount for members. 

How about lobbying for no minimum and free shipping? 

8)8)