Park Lane - 'The Connoisseurs Flake'

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting to read this thread. I remember being hot on the trail for a handful of their blends a while ago, Red Paramour, Turkish Mystery, & Old Church to be exact, only to be entirely turned back by the shipping prices. Definitely not the first time I have seen outrageous shipping costs when shopping for tobacco, but I can attest to the fact that for me it was a deal breaker as far as deciding not to order from them.

Wordsmith sheath thy pen. lol

I suppose it might depend on the formality of the proceedings and whether input was allowed from the floor as opposed to representative or proxy only. Heck, I'm not a parliamentarian, barely tolerate Roberts and his infernal Rules...just an old Country Doctor, as noted. 

Always a pleasure.

One of these days when the inventory gets low, the Park Lane blend I want to try is Old Church. By that point the shipping/minimum order issues may have been resolved.

The only two I've ever been exposed to are Connoisseur Flake and Red Paramour. The ones I've always wanted to try are Luxury Scottish Flake, which is the 'other' blend that reviewers selected as being the most like Scottish Ribbon...and one called Orient Express (Scene 1) which is a Turkish forward VA based blend. 

I've bounced off their website any number of times. No matter how fantastic their blends, I've never been able to get past feeling disrespected as a potential customer due to the minimum purchase thing and the exorbitant shipping charges. It's not just the feeling that they don't want your business unless you dance to their fiddle, you also have to be rich and stupid. Since none of the above describe me, it's never worked out.

I've been enjoying Connoisseurs Flake and Red Paramour for some years now. An iteration of Connoisseurs Flake, which some consider a deeper and closer version of the old Ed Burak classic, is Park-Lane's Liebman's Scottish Flake. I like both, but I give Liebman's the edge.

The Park Lane staff are the most accommodating bunch of folks that you will ever meet. If you ever get the chance to stop there you will be greeted like family. Riff Raff will attest to that. As far as having Al be a liaison to Park Lane I think he should be our travel scout because of the miles he covers to report on our various places of worship.

Regarding the $20. minimum, I can see BH's objection and feelings concerning that. Personally I don't mind the minimum because being the tobacco slut that I am my order always exceeds that amount, but it does leave a buyer with a less than favorable feeling. My favorite shipping policy is FREE with a purchase over a certain dollar amount. That's always the route I take.

The cost of shipping has always been a turn off for me personally. Even if perusing ePrey if shipping is over a minimal amount I won't bid on certain sellers items. But I'm a bit frugal for the most part.

The bottom line on shipping comes down to Priority Mail Small Flat Rate Box at $5.95 which will hold a pound of flake or blend. Reasonable enough and a 2 to 3 day delivery. Just my 2 cents.
:D 

Doc, it isn't just frugal when you recognize a ripoff. It falls under the handling part. Does the checkout at the store charge handling? Less than a buck or rounding I can see. Otherwise it is deceptive pricing.

BTW, if you go on the usps.gov site and create and account, you can get a discount on priority shipping. They don't have the full range of mail options but do priority well. You enter the info and then print out the mailing label with postage. Sure beat standing in line at the local P.O. Heck, they will even deliver boxes to you for your use or sell you a book of stamps.

babyS - I think the Liebman's and the Luxury Scottish Flake are the same thing. 

jKenP - I was meaning to say that 1/2 lb. of bulk was just above the $20 mark. I have a very aggressive typing program that sometimes does what it wants regardless of what I'm thinking I wrote.

I too have an obstreperous keyboard.  Mine is always generating Gross Illiteracy.

I digress:":1dgrhrqg said:
At Indiana University, the English Composition Department loved to put circled GI on our papers.  That was a Gross Illiteracy.  Seemed more appropriate for a Jesuit school imparting humility.

Blackhorse":n41a89lc said:
RE: Shipping in a First Class envelope. Be careful with that option. Depending on the attitude of the person behind the counter if the envelope isn't within VERY specific thickness guidelines you get popped for Priority rate. Even a big padded envelope is supposed to be able to be run through a machine to get the "stamp". If it doesn't fit then you get hit for '' special handling", which is the boost to Priority. From what I understand it's pretty much a crap shoot. 

RE: The response from Park - Lane came in from 'Rich' quite quickly. Here it is:

We do offer Priority Mail as a shipping option as well. I just took a look at our system and there appears to be problem with the USPS option. We will have the people who maintain our site look at it and correct the problem.

In the mean time if you would like to call us at (888) 648-6225, we will be happy to take your order over the phone. I will be here until 9:00 pm. If you can't call this evening the store opens at 9:00 am.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Cheers,

Rich"

I emailed right back, asking for the rate to my zip code for the Priority option he mentioned, on two tins (the number I had initially used to get above the $20 minimum purchase). I also asked if the rate would differ greatly for 8 oz. of bulk (again, the amount to break the $20 barrier). 

I'll post that reply as well
BH

Did you get a reply to this query yet? Based on your description in the OP it sounds like something I'd be interested in. Connoisseur Flake and Red Paramour sound like they're right in my wheelhouse.

Cheers,

RR

OK...OK... 

Shipping to your zip for either 2 tins or 8oz. bulk will be about $7.00 via Priority mail.

Per Rich at Park Lane

(note: Park Lane is in New York...I live in Western Oregon, about as far from Park Lane as you can get without gettin' yer feet wet)

Blackhorse":4srwo5e4 said:
OK...OK... 

Shipping to your zip for either 2 tins or 8oz. bulk will be about $7.00 via Priority mail.

Per Rich at Park Lane

(note: Park Lane is in New York...I live in Western Oregon, about as far from Park Lane as you can get without gettin' yer feet wet)
Ya hey, that's more like it!

Cheers,

RR