Prince Albert or Carter Hall?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another resurrected thread! I've been on a codger kick over the past year. I do like Carter Hall. I haven't tried PA yet but I have tried Captain Black Original, Borkum Riff Original, Half & Half, Velvet, Granger, and Sir Walter Raleigh. None has been a glaring disappointment with the exception of SWR. CH stands out from the others. BRO and CBO also do but largely for their Cavendish characteristics. If I could only have one it would be Carter Hall.
When Lane shut it's doors in Tucker GA I took about 400 bucks and stocked up on 12 and 14 ounce tubs especially when P&C had their sales. Scandinavian Tobacco changed Sir Walter Raleigh to a totally different tobacco. Not for the better either.

I'd like to present my favorite tobacco to this discussion: Granger.
It just checks all the boxes for me when I want a tobacco in this vein. I think it's got everything PA has but it also has a fuller and thicker mouthfeel and a terrific note of plumy, raisiny goodness.

Answering the question on the thread though, I have only tried a match Carter hall and it wasn't very good. PA on the other hand I think is very enjoyable, a real nice blend.

I'd like to present my favorite tobacco to this discussion: Granger.
It just checks all the boxes for me when I want a tobacco in this vein. I think it's got everything PA has but it also has a fuller and thicker mouthfeel and a terrific note of plumy, raisiny goodness.

Answering the question on the thread though, I have only tried a match Carter hall and it wasn't very good. PA on the other hand I think is very enjoyable, a real nice blend.
I like Carter hall but I just don't know what flavor or topping is in it that doesnt make me love it. I have read Jims great reviews on all of them. Maybe molasses I hope not but will be getting PA and grainger to decide which one will be my go to codger blend :LOL: (y)

Carter Hall was my first love. After SWRA and regular I switched to Prince Albert. When Prince Albert was MIA for about a year I panicked and purchased a half case of Lane Limited Ready Rubbed. That was my back up in case Middleton had discontinued their two remaining pipe tobaccos. I still had a few tubs of PA and CH but I wanted to be on the safe side because this was before I ventured out to Cornell and Diehl Pegasus and Winchester. When PA finally showed up again it was being manufactured in the Dominican Republic. To be honest I couldn't tell a huge difference between the American made and the DR made. I stuck with PA as my morning smoke with coffee and then my others throughout the day. For some reason I do not like the current Carter Hall. They changed the recipe dramatically.