The 2012 forum pipe thread (merged and edited for clarity)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i.keenum":uuzmyv72 said:
I'm just rough on pipes, not intentionally, I am just clumsy. So I need something that can dropped and kicked and scratched with out coming apart. If it is a good chance I'm gonna break it don't want to pay whole lot. Nothing against cobs. I like the ones I have had they smoke great, taste good, their light, but just not as solid. If you can get them cheap enough, I'll buy several and not have to worry enough that I'll destroy something special to me. Have one for out and about and one I can stick on the rack for show.
Wonder what a pipe turned out of stainless steel will be like ;)

Hey you have never tried a sanda pipe? :shock: Before I knew ant better I bought one of these for about 8 bucks when I first started, went right in the trash. :p

I kind of like the Porsche pipes, the older ones, anyway... *shrug* ...not for that kind of money, though. 8)

i.keenum":32n5uakz said:
Hey you have never tried a sanda pipe? :shock: Before I knew ant better I bought one of these for about 8 bucks when I first started, went right in the trash. :p
I wouldn't even fill it with dirt to start a seedling.

TheSmokeamater":9w3dkpni said:
I wouldn't even fill it with dirt to start a seedling.
Really? Truthfully, it looks like it might be able to do that pretty well. There's a use for them after all. :lol:

Okay you guys have changed my mind!

No cobs, no briars, no meer....

BoB PORSCHE PIPE!!!! :twisted:

Ya that was one of the worst smoke I ever had, we all gotta start somewhere.

s.ireland":1tmdkqr3 said:
Okay you guys have changed my mind!

No cobs, no briars, no meer....

BoB PORSCHE PIPE!!!! :twisted:
Me, I would like to have a porch pipe. A BoB POY for smoking on the porch exclusively.

Something like a Porsche BoB POY Porch (PBoBPP) pipe.

Anyone still thinking about this? I know I had the wacky idea of maybe having Growley consider it, he's good, knows what he's doing and could probably help with logistics/ideas. *shrug*

8)

Kyle Weiss":uv4u3iyj said:
Anyone still thinking about this? I know I had the wacky idea of maybe having Growley consider it, he's good, knows what he's doing and could probably help with logistics/ideas. *shrug*

8)
I agree with Kyle, if Brian's up for it of course. It would be quite the task to take on. I own several of his pipes and damn, I love them.

He's good. He's very good.

Pipe boards are ships and club pipes are hidden rocks. It happened to one of the truly great guys (formerly) here (Piet). Naively being the Great Guy that he was, he agreed, on another board, to make some huge number of Club Pipes at what turned out to be a price that was under his own cost, counting labor & mailing expense. It was taking him much longer to make them all than anyone anticipated and people started bitching about it, which turned into bitching about him. The whole thing ended very badly. He even pulled out of here as fallout, which was a tragedy, IMHO.

People don't consider that making the same shape from ten blocks is going to produce maybe one clean smooth-finished pipe, maybe six sandblasts and the rest rusticated ones. Yet the first thing people want to do is specify a finish. It's a real good thing for a not-full-time pipemaker to not do, and full-time guys generally don't need the hassle.

A Tamper would work.

Pipes can be thin ice. It might not look thin, but it is.

:face:

You're right, Yak...not sure if you read that T&P thread posted somewhere in all of this, but it's certainly not something to jump into. I'd hate to cause bad blood between any of us over something that's supposed to bring us joy.

Everyone was so stuck on a "Pipe of The Year," can there possibly be a BoB design that's ongoing? I mean, other forums/groups often have T-shirts or something that are always available via CafePress, so why not a pipe that's an agreed-upon design (or a couple of designs) that could be used? The only thing that might take some doing is a stamp with a BoB logo? *shrug* Hell, if someone really wanted a milemarker, a generic number stamp could put a serial number or year on them, but the shape could just be "our shape."

Just thoughts. I love the romance of the idea, but pitfalls are numerous.

8)

I hate to be one of these people who comments on a thread without having read all of it.

What if we simply nominate a particular maker and shape as the pipe of the moment. (sort of like flavour of the year)

We take a vote on a maker and a shape nominate it as an honorary Bob pipe and then perhaps write a personal letter to the maker stating that his/her pipe has been chosen. If enough members purchase their pipes, in subsequent years we might convince them to make a small batch of affordable pipes with lets say an official stamp on it?

i don't know how feasible a strategy this is but its a thought.

Well, we could nominate a carver/company, but to what end? We're just a group of nobodies. Money talks, bullsh*t walks, and unless we pony up the cash to a company or find someone independent willing to do us a favor, this idea will stay just that. *shrug* Even if we do find someone, there will have to be some organization, agreements and treasury of the situation.

As Yak said, thin, thin ice! We're all Brothers when it's light'n'easy forum time, but start messin' with people's money and expectations, and boy howdy. :lol:

8)

Yeah, i can see that as a big problem.

How about if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Or Carve your own pipe and stamp it BOB. None of us here on the boards are like each other so why should the BOB pipe be?

Then we create a thread to show each other "our" BOB pipes.

Just another thought.

The process should start with an interest poll. Get an idea of how many people would SERIOUSLY consider purchasing a pipe, prefered shape, and rough estimate on the amount of money they're willing to spend. Then we can go to several makers and ask them if they can make X number of pipes for Y amount of dollars. Then someone (or some people) trusted by members of this board will have to collect money and place the order.

Yak's comment about carving 10 blocks of briar would result in most of them being rusticated or sandlbasted I think would work well on a large scale - most of the people interested would likely want to pay the lower amount of money for the rusticated and blasted pipes.

But, there's got to be a committee, a few dedicated, not-so-bright individuals whose honor is above reproach who will be willing to guide the decision-making process, contact the makers, negotiate costs, collect money, place the order, and possibly receive the pipes and ship them out.

And everything has to be approved by this site's owner.

I think wintermute has some good points. Regardless, I think we should get the ball rolling. If we don't finalize things by the end of the year that just means everything will be ready to go for 2013.