The 2012 forum pipe thread (merged and edited for clarity)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like the concept of having a "BoB" pipe that can be ordered at any time. This way, I can save up some $$ for a nice version, and not feel rushed to commit because the order cut-off date is looming.

I love the Tinsky idea. Going through Tinsky like this and ordering on out own if we dictate the shape of the year to be the rhodesian or whatever couldn't we at that juncture pick any Tinksy finish? The coral is a darn pretty pipe but the black and tan are amazing. Sorry to stray off a bit from the coral, just my thoughts. But heck yeah this is an awesome idea and I am in for a Tinsky if we can get it done.

If all we have to do is figure out a BoB Tinsky, (or maybe a couple) to encompass most Brothers' tastes, that's the kind of decision making I enjoy. 8) Let's hope Mark's up for it.

Kyle Weiss":791zv3h2 said:
If all we have to do is figure out a BoB Tinsky, (or maybe a couple) to encompass most Brothers' tastes, that's the kind of decision making I enjoy. 8) Let's hope Mark's up for it.
Me too, I don't have a Tinsky yet and my PAD is going bat crazy lately. I was eyeballing his Black and Tan's just the other day. From what I could tell if you look through his "club pipes" section it looks as though clubs pick a shape and then individuals pick the finish.

Mark replied to my email and we're going to talk on the phone soon. He said the idea of the rhodesian/combat pipe hybrid was workable. It would basically look exactly like that combat pipe in the picture I posted,but with a fat, rounded rhodesian body as in the other picture I posted. The other option is to just ask him to make the combat pipe, exactly like the picture. The difference is the bulldog shape (which has been done recently on other forums, and done here before, and is already available on Tinsky's website so why bother) versus the rounded English rhodesian shape. Given the squat bulldogs already done and already available on his site, I think the rhodesian would be more unique.

I think we're going to have to settle on a Basic simple shape or this thing will just blow up due to too many differing opinions/options. I'm sure that different finishes could be doable, Mark usually does offer that on Xmas and club pipes. I chose to start with the coral as it's good looking and the most affordable. First thing I heard from several guys is questions on price, so it would be prudent to make the basic idea a coral finish and let anyone who wants a higher grade work that out with Mark.

My vote would be a poker (a style I don't have) or rhodesian in that order.

PD the Rhodesian combat would be stellar. And I agree that a baseline price that can be advertised here for a coral is a darn good idea to get the ball rolling. Kudos to you for your insight an initiative Sir.

Sadly, I already have one of Mark's Rhodesians. It is 9 months old. You cannot do better then your choice. :no:, :!:

This is looking stellar already.

We'll just have to balance "standing out" with "affordable," so I'm good with coral and Rhodesian by a long shot. If there's any kind of change that would make it truly a "BoB Special" (separating itself from other lines he's done) but not up the price (by too much), I'm game for anything. Tinsky knows how to turn some wood, so I doubt I'm going to be disappointed with whatever you guys agree to--I'm flexible. 8) Even if this thing ends up being up to $200, I'm a "go."

I'm glad the interested has been stirred a little again. Thanks for helping to shortcut our bumbling, PD. Seriously. :cheers:

8)

It takes a bit more room, but Mark stamped the last ones:

BoB Forum

But whatever you decide to go with, I am sure Mark will work with you. He does make it easy to buy a pipe. :sunny:

Chiming in after a bit of forum hiatus.....

The M. Tinskey idea is solid...great bit of group thinking, guys. He's also one of the carvers from whom I had wished to purchase.

I would hope for something more "BoB Special" than a stamp, myself. The idea of guys ordering down the road is great and helps make our fun more accessible and, therefor, better.

That still leaves a number of things that can be done to make the pipes unique...I hope they all are affordable and that they are all offered for us to select. If not individually, collectively...for that it what this is commemorating anyway...our collectivity. Oh, wait...we're trying to individually celebrate our collectivity...or, are we collectively celebrating our individuality...wait, wait....we're individually commemorating our collectivity by collectively celebrating our individuality from the collective pipe smoking world....no, no..that's n o t r i g h t ..........

:afro:

...yeah, I'm probably in...watchin' and waitin'...

I have a feeling we're not going to get some run-of-the-mill pipe, it's going to be something cost-effective, representative, and sure to be the pride of any red-blooded BoB member present and future.

I'd really like to see the "What Are You Smoking Right Now?" section filled with entries like:

"Escudo in my BoB Tinsky."

"FVF in my BoB Tinsky."

Hell, just for Rob: "BCA/RLP-6 in my BoB Tinsky." :lol:

8)

(...whoever says "Kyle Weiss' Borkum Riff in his BoB Tinksy" owes me a BoB Tinksy... :evil: )

I would also love to own a POY but............

With an exchange rate of R8.30 for $1.00 anything above $100.00 will be a no go for me. With shipping a $100.00 pipe will cost me almost R1,000.00.

I was thinking of maybe a Savinelli, Brebbia etc, ordered as a special from the makers. If we should order 100 or more pipes, paid in advance, we should be in a position to strike a good bargain, I think. And making the pipes and deliver on time should not be a problem for any large company.

I've looked at a couple of short films, showing how "machine made" pipes are produced. And honestly, I do not believe that any pipes are totally handmade at all. All pipes need some finishing touches which can only be done by hand. So for me all good mass produced pipes are "machine made, hand finished" items.

I will be happy with a $100.00 "machine made, hand finished" POY !! :D

Pete,

I think the issue with any of the large companies is that they would likely require a large order of pipes to make a special run and we would still need an intermediary, either a BoBer or a store, to place the order, receive the pipes, package them up, and mail them out. Maybe Kaywoodie might entertain this?

On the Tinsky front...he's done this before, he puts out a good product for a good price, he ships everything himself, and his business model allows BoBers to buy when they want and order the finish they want. I like his rhodesian pattern, but I don't like the military bit. But that's just my personal opinion.

deepbass9":fjonsoph said:
Chiming in after a bit of forum hiatus.....

The M. Tinskey idea is solid...great bit of group thinking, guys. He's also one of the carvers from whom I had wished to purchase.

I would hope for something more "BoB Special" than a stamp, myself. The idea of guys ordering down the road is great and helps make our fun more accessible and, therefor, better.

That still leaves a number of things that can be done to make the pipes unique...I hope they all are affordable and that they are all offered for us to select. If not individually, collectively...for that it what this is commemorating anyway...our collectivity. Oh, wait...we're trying to individually celebrate our collectivity...or, are we collectively celebrating our individuality...wait, wait....we're individually commemorating our collectivity by collectively celebrating our individuality from the collective pipe smoking world....no, no..that's n o t r i g h t ..........

:afro:

...yeah, I'm probably in...watchin' and waitin'...
It would be wise to collect your thoughts before attempting each individual post...at least that is what we all here think... collectively. :clown:

Tinsky is our best bet. It won't be a $100 pipe, more on the order of $150 - $200 (do NOT quote me on that, it's a guess), if you're stuck for cash, you'll have to wait until the BoB Cobs come about.

It won't be like a POY, it will be an ongoing per-request kind of thing.

It will be unique and pretty enough to satisfy pretty much everyone, whether it be a collector-only pipe or a swell smoker for someone wanting to put match-n-bacca to it.

It won't be as much of a headache, it won't require heavy logistics, and probably won't cause people to hate each other (I hope!).

Will there be a few people that won't get exactly what they want? Naturally. Can't make everyone happy.

I really look forward to see what Tinsky has to say about all of this!

8)

In this thread's fine tradition of putting the cart before the horse, let me just throw this out there. Looking at the Tinsky Combat Pipe, an idea struck me. I don't know if this is practical for the pipemaker or not, but a minor alteration to the "bald spot" on the bottom of the shank could give it the unique quality craved by those who want something more than a BoB stamp on a standard shape. Granted, I have no idea if this would be feasible as a limited production line or not. I just thought it might work, and might be worth thinking about.
Rough Idea:

Of course, it wouldn't need that font, or even the full name. It wouldn't even need to be separated like that. (this is the "deluxe" model) Just having a "BoB" stamp in proximity to the scalloped lower edge would emulate our logo and give the pipe that special something.
Food for thought.