What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are still enjoying glorious weather in the Bluegrass. I'm on the patio enjoying KBV Burley Morning Pipe in a Jansen"s N.O. bent volcano with saddle stem, a cup of Folger's Colombian coffee, and a book.

20447-20240724-083602.jpg

Second bowl today was Steamworks in the same Pete. Even the DGT was good.
The biggest flaw in that plan is if and when it fails, for both the sender and receiver. Tax men will spend a fortune to make an example of even the smallest infraction. This is a universal truth.
@Singed do they give as hard of a time with importing just a pipe?

Good morning fellow BoBs. Cheating on my weekend only regimen, again, lol. Going Brit with Zippos gifted Condor in a 60s Comoys straight billiard. Coffee instead of tea, lol. Had rain last night so it's a pleasant 65 on the patio. Overcast but the sun is breaking through. Have a great day everyone.

Good morning,
The weather here has been wonderful,so I have been slowly re-painting our living room,It`s a very large room and with my limitations,it`s been taking awhile...
Smoking a Vauen bent pot with PS sweet vanilla,mug of Horton's coffee.
I have not made any progress on the 53 Pontiac. I spoke with a buddy and he`s going to eventually stop by to look at it for me....
Sadly, I was going to bring it to a car show on Sunday,thats not going to happen because I will not chance driving it like this!
I know a couple of guys asked for pics of the Pontiac, I will get them on here soon.
Best wishes to Ranger,Zippo. Congrats on your grand daughter Igoldberg!

Starting off my smoking day with a bowl of pre-2014 Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in a 2014 Basil Meadows smooth slight bend squashed tomato with an aluminum band and a black pearl acrylic stem in the military mount style. Watching the Yankees-Guardians game. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
Basil_squashed_ tomato copy.jpg

Enjoyed a tall stack of cinnamon raisin French toast with unsalted peanuts, and a golden delicious apple for lunch. I'm not far from finishing this bowl of year 2021 Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation Evening Flake in a smooth medium bend 2021 Peterson Ebony POTY 4AB No. 422/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. Gold Star Jamaica Blue Mountain Dark Roast, neat, is my drink. Abner the Eager was still hungry so I brought him in to eat.
4AB_Ebony.jpg

Second bowl today was Steamworks in the same Pete. Even the DGT was good.

@Singed do they give as hard of a time with importing just a pipe?
Short answer, no.

The real extortionist isn't the federal government either, federal tariffs approximately double the cost of tobacco - $22 CDN for every 50g. The Manitoba government has a 0.45 cent per gram tariff that they throw onto any tobacco order outside the province which exceeds 200g...apparently. Even orders originating in Canada, from Ontario, Quebec, etc. I only was able to get this information after protracted "conversations" with CBSA following my last large order. They were extremely reticent to discuss it or provide information on the legislation "because it is a provincial legislation". I had several large orders that came through without provincial tariffs prior to this one. I do not know why.

Solution, keep my orders small, 200g (7 oz) or less and cheapest shipping. Consumer goods have an excise on them, too - a sales tax 4%.

Living elsewhere looks better with every change of provincial and/or federal leadership. Tobacco is only the tip of the iceberg.

Also, one of my work cobs caved today- They get heavy use, 4-6 bowls a day without rest, alternating days. I expected it. I've decided to order five cobs for next season and colour code their stems, like day-of-the-week gitch. That way they will get a six day rest between uses. I don't think I'll meddle with their construction again, either.

My current order containing a new Cobbler, a Country Gent, Velvet (7oz), and pipe cleaners arrives tomorrow. The taxes on it were what I expected from all previous orders excepting my last.

Attachments

• MM Legend 5th Avenue.jpg
    MM Legend 5th Avenue.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I just finished mowing the lawn. The weather is so nice I hardly sweated. I'm now relaxing with Inns of Court in a Drucquer & Sons smooth, slightly bent, hexagonal-panelled acorn. I'm drinking Coke Zero.

View attachment 21031
I love the zone clock! It looks quite old, does it run?

Relaxing after a wonderful salad, snapper and snow peas dinner with strawberries for dessert. I'm close to the half way mark of this bowl of year 2018 Sutliff Dunhill Elizabethan Match in a 1982 smooth straight Dunhill Root Briar 31051 dublin with a tapered black vulcanite stem. Community Coffee, neat, is my drink. Watching the Braves-Phillies game, and when I go to work, I'll listen to the rest of the game.
Dunhill_1982_Dublin_RB.jpg