What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never had a bite problem with the Sutliff Edgeworth Match. I do like the LLRR, and was one of two people who launched an internet campaign to bring back the original Edgeworth Ready Rubbed since Lane used to make it. I managed to get the head of Lane to bring it back. It sold well at first, but the sales slowed down after a period of time, and it was discontinued.

I don't know why it didn't last, and some like you preferred it to the Sutliff version. The problem was, for many, that while Lane had the original formula, they didn't have access to the original source for the toppings. Neither did Sutliff, but their version is close to the original, which satisfied those who used to smoke the original. The Lane version wasn't super far off, but the flavor wasn't accurate. The cut was different, too, although Sutliff's cut isn't the same either. The Lane production was a smoother experience than the Sutliff match, but I prefer a blend closer to the original.

The other problem may have pricing. The Lane version was $34.95 for 14 ounces when it went on sale. ERR Match was $19.95 a pound in bulk.
Thank you for your response Jim. I know you're a busy man with your art work. I was a huge Middleton fan too. I was a teen in the middle and late 80s and used to love the aromas from the pouches and box's of pipe tobaccos. I would buy a few different blends and a corn cob pipe from the corner store and my buddy and I would head to the woods and smoke our pipes lol. Of course cigarettes finally took the place. But when I quit cigarettes and got into pipe smoking seriously it seems like there was more of a selection of "Codger" blends. I loved Middleton Apple, Berry Wine, and Kentucky Club Mild. Sugar Barrel was another I really liked. When I started to like the burley blends more Edgeworth had just been discontinued so there wasn't too many tubs and pouches around anymore. I started to move on from the classic American blends, especially the ones made by Lane. Jim, I used to LOVE Sir Walter Raleigh regular and when they moved to Denmark Scandinavian Tobacco Co ruined those blends. A friend gave me a 7oz tub of each blend. Velvet, Half and Half, Paladin, Sir Walter Raleigh regular, and Granger. They all have the same cut now, they all look like the same tobacco. The flavoring is nothing like the ones made in Tucker, GA. I stocked up on all those blends before they shut that plant down. Pipesandcigars had a huge sale back in 2020 I believe and I made a few big purchases. I moved on though to stronger blends.

A third of the way through this bowl of pre-2014 Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in a 2014 Basil Meadows smooth slight bend squashed tomato with an aluminum band and a black pearl acrylic stem in the military mount style. Ice water and bergs is my drink. Just fed Daisy the Feral Princess and Harry the Hairy. Didn't see the others, but I'm sure they are near by.
Basil_squashed_ tomato copy.jpg

Thank you for your response Jim. I know you're a busy man with your art work. I was a huge Middleton fan too. I was a teen in the middle and late 80s and used to love the aromas from the pouches and box's of pipe tobaccos. I would buy a few different blends and a corn cob pipe from the corner store and my buddy and I would head to the woods and smoke our pipes lol. Of course cigarettes finally took the place. But when I quit cigarettes and got into pipe smoking seriously it seems like there was more of a selection of "Codger" blends. I loved Middleton Apple, Berry Wine, and Kentucky Club Mild. Sugar Barrel was another I really liked. When I started to like the burley blends more Edgeworth had just been discontinued so there wasn't too many tubs and pouches around anymore. I started to move on from the classic American blends, especially the ones made by Lane. Jim, I used to LOVE Sir Walter Raleigh regular and when they moved to Denmark Scandinavian Tobacco Co ruined those blends. A friend gave me a 7oz tub of each blend. Velvet, Half and Half, Paladin, Sir Walter Raleigh regular, and Granger. They all have the same cut now, they all look like the same tobacco. The flavoring is nothing like the ones made in Tucker, GA. I stocked up on all those blends before they shut that plant down. Pipesandcigars had a huge sale back in 2020 I believe and I made a few big purchases. I moved on though to stronger blends.
The only Denmark versions that I have tried are Carter Hall and Prince Albert, and they were changed, too.

The importance of OTCs has greatly reduced because there are fewer pipe smokers than there used to be, and the number of places that used to carry them have shrunk to the lowest level possible. If people don't see pipe tobacco, they won't know that it exists.

Here's a list of what I remember about OTC prices from past days:

Drugstores and grocery stores the summer of 1974 when I started smoking: pouches of ERR was 25 cents, SWR was 25 cents, SWRA was 30 cents, Revelation was 30 cents, Madeira Gold was 24 cents, all Borkum Riff products were 30 cents, Mixture #79 was 40 cents, Rum and Maple was 35 cents, Middleton Apple and Cherry were 25 cents each, Amphora Red and Brown were 30 cents each, Carter Hall was 30 cents, Prince Albert was 25 cents, Skandinavik Regular and Aromatic were 35 cents a pack, Sail Green and Yellow were 32 cents a pouch, Granger was 22 cents, Flying Dutchman was 35 cents, Paladin was 28 cents, Sugar Barrel was 28 cents, Half & Half was 24 cents, Captain Black White was 35 cents. There were more than half a dozen aromatics made by Douwe Egberts at 35 cents each.

In 1975, I remember seeing a brand called Acapulco Gold. It was 35 cents, but I did not buy it. I saw it in a grocery store, and it wasn't sold there for long. I remember wondering about it, considering the name was used for an illegal substance. Does anybody else remember this tobacco?

1978: Middleton Cherry was 35 cents, Middleton Apple was 40 cents, Carter Hall was 35 cents, SWR was 35 cents, SWRA was 40 cents, 50 cents each for Skandinavik Regular and Aromatic, 60 cents for Amphora Brown and Amphora Red, Mixture #79 was 75 cents, Captain Black White was 70 cents. Borkum Riff products were 65 cents a pouch. I also noticed that the number of blends had decreased by this time at the stores.

1982 at my local Tinderbox for 50 gram tins: Three Nuns was $4, all Balkan Sobranie products were $4.50 each, Dunhill products were $4.00 each. MacBaren tins were $3.50.

1995 when I started smoking SWRA: $12 a tub. SWR was $9.95, Captain Black White was $18.95. Three Nuns in 50 gram tins was $5.00, $8.50 for 100 gram tins when you could find it. Balkan Sobranie White was $5.25 for 50 grams, $15.75 for 200 grams.

2001 in Switzerland: Three Nuns 50 gram tins was $6.45 each, Dunhill Navy Rolls was $7.50, Balkan Sobranie White was $6.50.

Enjoyed a tall sack of cinnamon raisin French toast with a golden delicious apple, and unsalted peanuts on the side for lunch. I've about a third of a bowl left of year 2020 Watch City Rouxgaroux in a smooth medium bend 2021 Peterson POTY Natural 4AB No. 6/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. Cleaned a few pipes, fed Tomato the Brave, and Abner the Eager is snoozin' by my side. Gold Star Jamaica Blue Mountain, neat, is my drink.
4AB_Nat_left.jpg

Good morning BoB!
This morning I am smoking some of MacBaren's bulk Dark Twist. When I read dark fired kentucky, I didn't expect it to be this smooth.
For those outside the USA, I'm the sort of person who thinks the law of God is absolute and the laws men create are often just a bunch of baloney. Would it not be easy to send you tobacco in the mail with scent proof packaging? There might be hiccups in that plan but I don't know them.
On another note, this place is the most well functioning support group I've ever seen.
The biggest flaw in that plan is if and when it fails, for both the sender and receiver. Tax men will spend a fortune to make an example of even the smallest infraction. This is a universal truth.

C&D Exclusive in my Brigham. Trying day at work, landscaping damage that can only be described as vandalism. Fundraising tournaments should not be an income source for private courses...they are rife with drunken hooliganism. The practice is akin to prostituting the course amenities, a shameful practice meant only to reduce membership dues, and which jeopardizes any financial investments made to improve the infrastructure of the course with senseless damages to equipment, playing areas, and property.

Our course is overpopulated and culling the cheapskates and chisellers would not hurt - the course currently has an embarrassing excess of funds. It would open tee times and allow more leisurely play for legitimate members. We currently run tee times on 5-7 minute schedule for fives rather than a much more appropriate 9-12 minute schedule for foursomes. Shareholders hedging their memberships under profit speculation underlie the obstructions and opposition to development.

Management runs the operation under a model similar to a municipal course despite its private status.

Under a "black cloud" at the moment - sick and tired of racetrack golf. These cheap bastards need to stop kidding themselves and embrace their inner attitude of social entitlement.<Drops Mic>

Attachments

• Brigham 129 Voyageur.jpg
    Brigham 129 Voyageur.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
A quarter of the way through this bowl of year 2012 Esoterica Dunbar in a smooth straight, dark brown early 1960s Lane era Charatan Selected 43 Dublin with a black vulcanite double comfort saddle stem. This pipe was formerly owned by actor William Conrad.
Conrad-Dublin copy.jpg

Daughter in Law #2 is in labor with grandchild #2 (a girl this time!) I'm smoking Pete in a Pete. That is all.
It's a shame that Pete went up in flames during the prime of his life. :)

Passing the half way mark of this bowl of year 2010 Full Virginia Flake in a slight bend 1968 group 4S Dunhill Shell 475 cherrywood with a tapered black vulcanite stem. Watching the Braves-Phillies game.
Dunhill_1968Cherrywood_Shell_475_4S.jpg

Been relaxing after a wonderful salad, chicken legs and green beans dinner with the rest of m'lady's strawberry ice cream for dessert. I'm off to work with a bowl of year 2020 D&R Penhooker Silver in a straight smooth brown undated pre-Republic Peterson Shamrock 263 Canadian with a nickel band and a tapered black p-lip stem. Community Coffee, neat, is my drink. Listening to the rest of the Braves-Phillies game.
Peterson_PR_Canadian_Shamrock263.jpg

Passing the first third of this bowl of year 2014 Edgeworth Ready Rubbed Match in a 1984 medium bend black grain etched Savinelli Non Pareil 9310 pokerish dublin with a horn ferrule and a black vulcanite flared stem. Reading baseball box scores, and may end the day with this smoke. Fed all the ferals. Abner the Eager is here again, and is eating. Harry the Hairy tried to chase him away, but I stopped that, and brought Abner inside to eat. Daisy the Feral Princess is snoozin' on her blanket.
Savinelli_NonPareil_poker9310.jpg