What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I walked Jacksie this morning while smoking MB Mixture: Scottish in the BBB 204 “Dog-Lunter”.
IMG_0058.jpeg

And a very good afternoon my friends and fellow BoBs. Starting a little later than anticipated today, thanks to Nurse Ratchet and her body twisting assistant.
So now that Mrs Z has settled me into my den, I'm going to fill a Petersons Ashford XL17, with a copious amount of Rangers bespoke Urban Cowboy, and a pot of Yorkshire Tea will sit on the side.
Have a great day my friends 😊
Petersons Ashford XL17 .jpg

I greatly recommend watching Bogart movies. Here's a few suggestions: The Maltese Falcon, Key Largo (with EGR), Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The Big Sleep, The African Queen, To Have and Have Not, and The Caine Mutiny.

And for some fun, here's Bogie on The Jack Benny Program: https://www.google.com/search?q=Jack+Benny+program+++humphrey+bogart&sca_esv=4d1091d9e59bc338&sca_upv=1&ei=slRnZt2YNZbIp84Pq9-j4AU&ved=0ahUKEwjduZmh49GGAxUW5MkDHavvCFwQ4dUDCBA&uact=5&oq=Jack+Benny+program+++humphrey+bogart&gs_lp=Egxnd3Mtd2l6LXNlcnAiJEphY2sgQmVubnkgcHJvZ3JhbSArIGh1bXBocmV5IGJvZ2FydDIGEAAYFhgeMggQABiABBiiBEicb1AAWOtjcAB4AZABAJgB9AGgAfQZqgEGMzEuMy4yuAEDyAEA-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&sclient=gws-wiz-serp#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:ae44ebe1,vid:B9VldDFmh78,st:0

Here's Bogie and Bacall on Benny's radio program:

And here's a fun Edward G. Robinson movie where he pokes fun at his earlier gangster roles, and there's pipe smoking here, too. https://www.google.com/search?sca_e...ate=ive&vld=cid:764eb0df,vid:cn-tH6uJt0g,st:0

Thank you for the suggestions, I have the list screenshotted and I'll have them ready for the next time my wife has a girls day and I'm home alone. I'll light a pipe, watch a few and get back to you with what I thought of them. I really like content from that era so I'm always pleased to get suggestions.
On my walk to work, I tried some Villager Tropical Blend. The tobacco smells more fruity than it tastes. It tastes of something tropical but my palate isn't refined enough to define the components. It tastes good but I won't buy it again.
I have run into this situation a few times now in which I'm left wondering weather or not the tobacco blend's flavors are muddled or if I just lack the experience and palate to differentiate all the flavors present.

Thank you for the suggestions, I have the list screenshotted and I'll have them ready for the next time my wife has a girls day and I'm home alone. I'll light a pipe, watch a few and get back to you with what I thought of them. I really like content from that era so I'm always pleased to get suggestions.
On my walk to work, I tried some Villager Tropical Blend. The tobacco smells more fruity than it tastes. It tastes of something tropical but my palate isn't refined enough to define the components. It tastes good but I won't buy it again.
I have run into this situation a few times now in which I'm left wondering weather or not the tobacco blend's flavors are muddled or if I just lack the experience and palate to differentiate all the flavors present.
I constantly experience that. I think my palate is gradually becoming more discerning. I try to read reviews (by @JimInks in particular) to try to get a sense of what I might look for. Even then I miss a lot.

I'm in the garage going through some boxes of books to take to Half Price Books. I'm smoking Wilke Lizzie Blood Red English in a Hardcastle's Crown bent billiard with saddle stem and drinking iced coffee. Sir Barksalot of Yorkshire is staying close by, but if I don't keep an eye on him he's prone to wander off or, even worse, charge some dog who has entered his realm, which is our neighborhood as far as his eye can see.
20240123_150318.jpg

Near the half way mark of this bowl of pre-2014 Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in a 2014 Basil Meadows smooth slight bend squashed tomato with an aluminum band and a black pearl acrylic stem in the military mount style. Watching Mad Dog Russo. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
Basil_squashed_ tomato copy.jpg

Enjoyed a Jethro Bodine size bowl of Raisin Bran with extra raisins and a golden delicious apple lunch. Still hungry, though. I've a third of a bowl left of year 2020 Watch City Rouxgaroux in a smooth medium bend 2021 Peterson POTY Natural 4AB No. 6/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. Coffee from a freshly opened small bag of Gold Star mmmMocha, neat, is my drink.
4AB_Nat_left.jpg

I constantly experience that. I think my palate is gradually becoming more discerning. I try to read reviews (by @JimInks in particular) to try to get a sense of what I might look for. Even then I miss a lot.
Jim gave me a few hints that have helped me better appreciate my purchases, I'm sure he'd reiterate them if you coax him.

Tried some Pegasus at work today and quickly decided half my stash should be there as my work-a-day blend. I like it more than the Burley based Codger blends I have tried so far - I have a few more to try but Pegasus will be a very enjoyable choice for the immediate future. I will have to exercise some restraint, I had four bowls today with no bite and no palate fatigue. I will quickly deplete my stash at that rate.

Attachments

• MM Legend 5th Avenue.jpg
    MM Legend 5th Avenue.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
A quarter of the way through this bowl of Ken Byron Ventures Mr. Christian’s Brown Flek 2021 in a 1984 smooth brown full bend Peterson Mark Twain military mount egg with a silver cap and tapered black vulcanite p-lip stem. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
Peterson_MarkTwain_Smooth.jpg

I can really relate to your comments on flavors and palate mate. I have have many blends that I just couldn't work out why I liked or disliked them or taste the certain flavours. I find https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/ and in particular Jims reviews invaluable for educating my palate and understanding the blends and flavors and heightens my enjoyment on every bowl.(y)

A third of the way through this bowl of year 2018 Sutliff Dunhill Elizabethan Match in a 1982 smooth straight Dunhill Root Briar 31051 dublin with a tapered black vulcanite stem. This should get me to dinner time. Watching the Braves-Orioles game, and getting ready to clean a few pipes.
Dunhill_1982_Dublin_RB.jpg

Relaxing after a wonderful salad, two pound porterhouse steak, baked potato and sweet corn dinner with a few oatmeal raisin cookies for dessert. M'lady is going to make strawberry ice cream a little later. I just finished smoking year 2016 Sutliff 507-C Slices in a black sandblast PSB medium bend 2021 Peterson POTY 4AB No. 228/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem.
4AB_PSB_left.jpg

Off to work with a bowl of year 2020 D&R VIP in a 2004 smooth long shank Trever Talbot Ligne Bretagne Faite en Bretagne 4/3 lumberman with a tapered black vulcanite stem. Community Coffee, neat, is my drink.
Trever_Talbot_LigneBretagne3:4_Lumberman.jpg

After moving the chickens out I was in the mood for some Virginia. I loaded a Pride with Red Virginia I got in Virginia and had a wonderful smoke with Earl Grade tea. After dinner I switched to GLP Westminster. I started with a Pride and now a Boone sitting out side by a fire.