What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Half way through this bowl of year 2019 C&D Yorktown in a straight sandblasted black post-1938 (Comoy’s) Made in England Ancestor bulldog with a black vulcanite saddle stem. Watching the Braves-Cards game.
Ancestor (Comoy's)_bulldog.jpg

Relaxing after a wonderful salad, chicken legs and green beans dinner with strawberries for dessert. Hope I can go off my diet tomorrow. I've passed the quarter mark of this bowl of KBV Mr. Christian's Haunted Virginia 2022 in a straight, black sandblasted 1980s Comoy’s Mark-2 G * 6 (4) bulldog with a black vulcanite saddle stem.
Comoy's_Mark2_bulldog.jpg

Jim, is this a pipe made by Comoy's on behalf of Peterson, manufactured in Wisconsin? That sounds like an unusual arrangement.
Comoy's made the pipes for that business, but that's not unusual. It just so happens that this company was named Peterson. I have Sutliff, John's Pipe Shop, Jost's Pipe Shop, and Grant's Pipe Shop pipes made by Comoy's. Dunhill made pipes for individual businesses as did Sasieni, GBD, and others.

Off to touch up pages on the Betty and Veronica story I've been working on with a bowl of Wilke No. 72 in a pre-1974 dark brown straight Larus & Brother Co. Signature billiard with a nickel band and a tapered black vulcanite stem with the initials LCR on the top of the stem. This blend was smoked by Walter Cronkite. Community Coffee, neat, is my drink.
Larus and Brother pot.jpg

A quarter of the way through this bowl of Hearth & Home AJ’s Vaper in a pre-1952 Sutliff Falcon 372 (made by Comoy’s) smooth light brown straight bulldog with a tapered black vulcanite stem. Traffic copping Daisy the Feral Princess, Tomato the Brave, Harry the Hairy and Abner the Eager so all can eat in peace.
Comoy's_Sutliff_Falcon372_Bulldog.jpg

Last edited:
Half way through this bowl of 2019 Prince Albert in an undated, unbranded straight smooth brown made in France Los Alton VBF Canadian with a tapered black vulcanite stem. Got a few things done, including reading baseball box scores. Going to check on the ferals soon. I'll likely end the day with this smoke.
Los_Alton_VBF_Canadian.jpg

Comoy's made the pipes for that business, but that's not unusual. It just so happens that this company was named Peterson. I have Sutliff, John's Pipe Shop, Jost's Pipe Shop, and Grant's Pipe Shop pipes made by Comoy's. Dunhill made pipes for individual businesses as did Sasieni, GBD, and others.
Thanks! That makes perfect sense. My Jansen's N.O. pipe was made by either Comoy's or GBD for that shop in New Orleans.

Last edited:
Just returned from walking Jacksie. I smoked the last of my SWRA in a Peterson Dublin Edition 999 which she gifted me for my birthday. At my request, she is taking me out for a birthday lunch at Buc-ee's, a unique gas station chain that is known for, among other things, having good food. It'll be my first time.
20240620_173343.jpg

Good morning and happy Tuesday!
Today it's velvet in my MM cob. This is one of many tobaccos I have heard dozens of adds for as I listen to old time radio. Not nearly as many programs sponsored by velvet as radio sponsorship giants like Camel Cigarettes and Prince Albert but its fun to hear an add in a program produced 70, 80, even 100 years ago and then sample that product. Its espcially fun when the product is pipe tobacco.
I love the unfiltered Camel cigies GM in my before pipe days loved them. They were such great sponsors for so much moto sport too hey.

I made a 50/50 mix of GLP Jackknife Plug and Prince Albert, as I'd like to get rid of remainders of both. The PA is DR made, and I am trying to be disciplined enough to smoke up this codger before opening a 7 ounce can of Granger. On the other, I just don't care for it yet with not enough years (1?). This is the first GLP blend that I haven't liked. Smoking the mix in an MM General with forever stem.

It's been another scorcher today, although the forecast said it was supposed to be cooler, but still hit 30°. Mrs Z and myself took a drive down to the coast in Dorset for the day. And a great day it was too. Fish n Chips by the sea is a huge Brit Tradition, and who am I to go against tradition. Will have a bowl of Rangers Urban Cowboy in a Petersons Atlantic, before heading off home. I hope everybody is having a great day.

Starting off my smoking day with a bowl of pre-2014 Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in a 2014 Basil Meadows smooth slight bend squashed tomato with an aluminum band and a black pearl acrylic stem in the military mount style. Watching Mad Dog Russo. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
Basil_squashed_ tomato copy.jpg