What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A third of the way through this bowl of pre-2014 Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in a 2014 Basil Meadows smooth slight bend squashed tomato with an aluminum band and a black pearl acrylic stem in the military mount style. Watching Mad Dog Russo.
Basil_squashed_ tomato copy.jpg

Had a late bite of lunch and wrapping it up with MacBaren Old Dark Fired in the same Savinelli Trevi 320EX. The bag smell of this is really great and like BBQed tobacco. I grew up around and raising the stuff with the smoky barns, etc., and will never tire of it. I can thank @Ranger107 and his Urban Cowboy blend for getting me to order this. I almost bought Amphora Kentucky Blend, but Jim's reviews of each swayed me to ODF. I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't essentially the same, but bulk ODF is a better deal.

Last edited:
Enjoyed a tasty lunch, and am celebrating my fiftieth anniversary as a pipe smoker with a bowl of pre-2014 Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in the very first pipe I ever smoked (which was my father’s pipe), a late 1950s smooth with etched grooves straight Willard long stem adjustomatic Canadian with a black vulcanite stem. The last of this bag of Gold Star mmmMocha, neat, is my drink. Going to smoke the first few pipes I bought this afternoon.
Williard.jpg

Off to do a second set of walking reps with a bowl of year 2014 Edgeworth Ready Rubbed Match in the very first pipe I ever bought ($2.49) in 1974; a smooth three quarter bend Dr. Grabow Omega military mount with a nickel band and a black vulcanite p-lip stem. This was the closest I could get to a 4AB in a small town.
Dr.Grabow_Omega_1974.jpg

Now smoking Watch City American Cut Plug Mixture in the third pipe I bought ($1.95), a 1974 smooth straight dark brown French briar Hadley NEBPC apple with a tapered black vulcanite stem. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
Hadley_NEBPC_apple.jpg

A third of the way through this bowl of Sutliff Maple Shadows in a 1975 medium bend sandblasted looking, smooth on the sides yellow Pioneer meer billiard with a black ferrule and vulcanite stem in the military mount style. This is the fourth pipe that I bought. Paid $5.95 for it.
Pioneer meer billiard .jpg

Part way through this bowl of Seattle Pipe Club Give Me Liberty in a straight smooth medium brown pre-1920 straight Marechal Ruchon & Cie. Royale apple with a sterling silver band and a tapered black vulcanite stem. This should get me to dinner time.
Marechal Ruchon & Cie. Royale apple.jpg

Enjoyed a tasty lunch, and am celebrating my fiftieth anniversary as a pipe smoker with a bowl of pre-2014 Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in the very first pipe I ever smoked (which was my father’s pipe), a late 1950s smooth with etched grooves straight Willard long stem adjustomatic Canadian with a black vulcanite stem. The last of this bag of Gold Star mmmMocha, neat, is my drink. Going to smoke the first few pipes I bought this afternoon.
View attachment 19626
Congrats Jim, that's a real milestone.

Relaxing after a wonderful salad, two sword fish steaks and sugar snap peas dinner with strawberries for dessert. An off diet day is 50/50 for tomorrow. I've passed the quarter mark of this bowl of year 2012 Astley’s No. 55 in a 1978 straight smooth brown BBB Silver Mounted 522 pot with a silver band and a tapered black vulcanite stem. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
BBB_Silver Mounted522_pot.jpg

Off to work with a bowl of 2021 Watch City Simply VOriental in a straight smooth medium brown 1930s Wilshire 5 bulldog (Comoy’s second) made for John’s Pipe Shop in Los Angeles with a black vulcanite saddle stem. Listening to the Giants-Cardinals game. Community Coffee, neat, is my drink.
 Wilshire 5 bulldog.jpg

Hey, my wife's birthday gifts to me have arrived 1 week early! She had asked me if I would like a pipe. I suppose that was my chance to "go big", but I decided to not be extravagant. I spotted an estate pipe at smokingpipes that looked like a good deal: a Peterson Dublin Edition 999 with a smooth walnut finish, nickle ferrule and vulcanite fishtail stem. The condition was "smoked, but very clean." I threw in a tin of Drucquer & Sons Inns of Court and still needed to spend another $4 in order to reach the $95 minimum for free shipping. I had to do a little research to learn that the "Dublin Edition" pipes were introduced in 2017 as an "entry grade line". But the line seems to have been discontinued. Well, this is one lovely pipe! I couldn't be more pleased. This tin of Inns of Court is the first Drucquer & Sons tobacco I've had in over 35 years. I recall buying both this and the 805 blends at their store in Piedmont, but to be honest, I couldn't remember what either tasted like. Inns of Court has a delicious tin aroma, and as I smoke it now I'm enjoying its tangy, sweet, and lightly latakia-accented flavor. A glass of Jim Beam Rye on ice and listening to the music of Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong make for a lovely evening.
20240620_173343.jpg

Last edited:
Enjoyed a tasty golden delicious apple, and am smoking Watch City English Ernie-ental in a straight dark brown and tan rusticated Peterson 2023 Saint Patrick’s Day 264 Canadian with an Irish flag colored ferrule and tapered black acrylic stem. Working and listening to Crime Classics from my radio collection.
Peterson_St. Patrick's_Canadian264.jpg

Now smoking Wilke Back Bay w/o perique in a straight smooth brown undated pre-Republic Peterson Dublin Sterling Canadian 264 with a sterling silver band and a tapered black vulcanite stem. When I went outside to see if any of the ferals needed food, Harry the Hairy, father of two of the kittens we had, came to the door. Sam the Scamp was standing on the top of my chair, and growled at Harry when she saw him. Guess she doesn't like dead beat dads.
Peterson_PR_Canadian_Sterling264 .jpg

Part way through this bowl of Wilke No. 515 Double Shot in a smooth dark medium bend 2021 Peterson Heritage Brown POTY 4AB No. 45/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. This is No. 515 with twice the rum of the Basil Rathbone blend.
4AB_Brown-left.jpg

Passing the quarter mark of this bowl of Watch City Original Crumb Cut in a 1950s-60s straight smooth brown Bertram 07 octagonal paneled billiard with a square shank and a tapered black vulcanite stem. I'll end the day with this smoke.
Bertram_07 _panel_billiard.jpg