What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was planning to post a bent MM Rob Roy filled with GLP Westminster but got interrupted by chores and dinner. I'm currently enjoying a different Rob Roy filled with GLP Westminster and a glass of Moscato while watching Michael Hedges last recorded live show.
I'm not familiar with Michael Hedges, so I looked him up on Spotify and listened to a couple of songs. I really liked them.

More nice weather today, and I'm on the patio enjoying KBV Burley Morning Pipe in a Jansen's N.O. bent volcano with saddle stem, a cup of Folger's Colombian and a book.

20447-20240724-083602.jpg

Michael Hedges, so I looked him up on Spotify and listened to a couple of songs.
He was an interesting guitarist and mostly solo act. His album "Live on the Double Planet" has a good cross section of his music. His albums before that were generally instrumental and definitely worth a listen or three! Unfortunately he passed in a car accident in 1997. I was lucky to have seen him perform live in Boston.

He was an interesting guitarist and mostly solo act. His album "Live on the Double Planet" has a good cross section of his music. His albums before that were generally instrumental and definitely worth a listen or three! Unfortunately he passed in a car accident in 1997. I was lucky to have seen him perform live in Boston.
Thanks, I'll check that album out.

This morning is Sutliff's Virginia Slices, once again in my beater mm cob.
I'm feeling under the weather today and because of that, I'm likely to come home from work early.
Listening to The Bob Hope radio broadcast. Only 36 episodes left before I have heard every surviving episode, then it'll be time to move on to The Charlotte Greenwood radio program. I don't suppose any of the guys here have a favorite old time radio show?

I'm feeling under the weather today and because of that, I'm likely to come home from work early.
Listening to The Bob Hope radio broadcast. Only 36 episodes left before I have heard every surviving episode, then it'll be time to move on to The Charlotte Greenwood radio program. I don't suppose any of the guys here have a favorite old time radio show?
Yes!

Vic and Sade
The Jack Benny Program
The Fred Allen Show

Now all three are in my lineup to listen to!
Note, the earliest Jack Benny episodes are, imho, not as good as the ones where he has an ensemble to play off of. So if you are not impressed with the show at first, don't give up on it.

Vic and Sade is a subtle, quirky little world.

Passing the first quarter of this bowl of pre-2014 Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in a 2014 Basil Meadows smooth slight bend squashed tomato with an aluminum band and a black pearl acrylic stem in the military mount style. My first set of walking reps will be rained out, but if the rain ceases, maybe I can get one set in. Just fed Sleepy Suzy and Molly Danger, who has been coming out of the bed room with more frequency after almost five months. I'll check on the ferals soon. Watching Mad Dog Russo.
Basil_squashed_ tomato copy.jpg

Too many to list, but here's some of my favs:
Jack Benny (the show really doesn't get going until 1937)
The Phil Harris-Alice Faye Show is one of the funniest and best written comedies. Remley is the most amoral character ever, but you'll love him just the same. This show is a must!
Lum and Abner (funny rural comedy that partly influenced The Andy Griffith Show)
Fibber McGee and Molly (we named our cat after Molly. The show doesn't really get good until 1937)
The Great Gildersleeve (the first spin off show, Gildy was on Fibber McGee and Molly)
Vic and Sade (great parody of people, but it's an acquired taste)
The Lone Ranger (best episodes are pre-1948)
The Green Hornet
Gunsmoke
The Shadow (less good after 1945)
Fred Allen
Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar (The five part Bob Bailey years are as good as any show of its kind)
Mystery in the Air (Peter Lorre is the star and the scripts are great)
Our Miss Brooks
Fort Laramie (one of the best written and acted radio westerns starring Raymond Burr right before he became TV's Perry Mason)
Richard Diamond (One of the best detective shows. Has some humor, and most episodes were written by Blake Edwards)

Enjoyed a tasty lunch, and have a quarter of a bowl left of year 2020 Watch City Rouxgaroux in a smooth medium bend 2021 Peterson POTY Natural 4AB No. 6/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. It stopped raining a couple of minutes ago, but it may start again, and as wet as it is, I'll stay inside today. Spent a bit of time traffic copping all the ferals. Daisy the Feral Peincess is snoozin' in the bathroom as she avoids Molly Danger, who is still in the den. Tomato the Brave ate plenty, and wanted to stay inside, but I had to put him out. Same goes for Abner the Eager who was laying on top of my car in the rain. I dried him off, fed him, and put him outside. Gold Star Jamaica Blue Mountain Dark Roast, neat, is my drink. Really great coffee.
4AB_Nat_left.jpg

Now smoking year 2021 Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation Evening Flake in a smooth medium bend 2021 Peterson Ebony POTY 4AB No. 422/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. Molly Danger has wanted extra attention from me for several days now, much more than before Sam and the scampers were here. Guess it's reassurance she needs as much as affection, and she's getting both.
4AB_Ebony.jpg

MollyBlanket1.jpg

Been up since 4 am and working hauling limestone gravel to the bluff all day. Due to inaccessibility for dump trucks, the loads had to be hauled in a rented dump trailer, but I managed to get just 300 lbs shy of 12 tons. I'm pretty beat, but the Bluff Blend in an MM old beat up cob is lifting my spirit. Might repeat tomorrow. Glad we have a quarry within 6 miles or so.