What are you snuffing?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just don't be expecting the SG BC to smell like you're walking around in a coffee shop all day.  I mean, the coffee is there, sure, but it really just highlights some excellent base tobacco (if you like the dark base tobacco in the BC, you're on the right track to enjoy the Viking Dark when it arrives).

Oh...and those tapboxes?  EXCELLENT for the German schmaltzer-style snuffs.  MISERABLE for anything medium moisture or drier.  You can get a lot of the Sam Gawith blends in 10g tap-boxes - DONT do it.  They dry out and lose scent very quickly in those things; a lot of the time it's not even worth opening immediately and storing them in little glass jars as the frequently arrive out of sorts.  Best to buy the 25g tins of the SG and trade 'em off if you don't like 'em.

So...

1. Yeah, the SG Black Coffee smells like coffee in the tin but the post snuff aroma is dark but mild tobacco...nice.

2. My vials came in from the online pen place yesterday so all drier snuffs in sad little tap box things are to be transferred today. I'm on it, Boss!

idbowman":229p0xih said:
Just don't be expecting the SG BC to smell like you're walking around in a coffee shop all day.  I mean, the coffee is there, sure, but it really just highlights some excellent base tobacco (if you like the dark base tobacco in the BC, you're on the right track to enjoy the Viking Dark when it arrives).

Oh...and those tapboxes?  EXCELLENT for the German schmaltzer-style snuffs.  MISERABLE for anything medium moisture or drier.  You can get a lot of the Sam Gawith blends in 10g tap-boxes - DONT do it.  They dry out and lose scent very quickly in those things; a lot of the time it's not even worth opening immediately and storing them in little glass jars as the frequently arrive out of sorts.  Best to buy the 25g tins of the SG and trade 'em off if you don't like 'em.
One notable exception: SG Cola got better in the tapbox and didn't seem to lose any flavor.

But yeah, they are rubbish.

I found most of the tap boxes to be complete garbage. Both of my first 10g Bernard's dried out faster than I could finish them. Thankfully I was able to re-hydrate both and they were pretty much just as good. The Poschl tap boxes are okay however, the rubber plug seems to do a better job at keeping the snuff in good condition.

Blackhorse":9yrn7mvy said:
So...being Poschl...the SG Apricot should keep OK in its factory tap case?
Comparatively speaking, it keeps well.

DrumsAndBeer":1nrw8hw2 said:
Blackhorse":1nrw8hw2 said:
So...being Poschl...the SG Apricot should keep OK in its factory tap case?
Comparatively speaking, it keeps well.
The tap boxes with the slider seem to do poorly. The ones with the rubber plug do better.

I hope my schmalzers are okay. I sealed them. :-/

Make it a hat trick! I just took delivery of multiple orders from the USPS, among the blends was Viking Dark...so up the nose it went. Excellent snuff, its lovely stuff.

Edit: OMG...it's just like sniffing G&H Dark Plug/Dark Flake. The aroma is frigging identical. Amazing.

Viking Dark this morning and afternoon.

F&T French Carotte tonight.

This evening:

Viking Blond (Very, very nice. Sample courtesy of 'Thomas Tkach', a brother here, many thanks!)

Bernard Gekachelter Virginie (Like a flue cured VA, smokey, dark, plain tobacco. Excellent.)

A pre-bedtime blast of High Dry Toast to go with some GLP Samarra. Quite the combo actually.

Sort of a two pronged approach there, DnB. Interesting. I've seen hints and masked allusions here and there to what I would call a 'snuff parfait'. In other words, one sniff of snuff "A" followed immediately by one of snuff "B". Or maybe you could end up cross-eyed by taking A in your left side and B on the right. Ah, the wild and wacky world of snuff!

Anyway, I started the day with F&T Old Paris. Nice wake up with a steaming cuppa Guatamala.  :sunny:

Yep...those schmaltzers have a way of liquifying everything in the schnoz pretty quickly.

For me, it's looking like a Santo Domingo kind of day.

I've a brand new tin of SD just in...I really should crack it.

Note: Mr S has great specials on most Fribourg & Treyer Tins currently... a 50 g tin of SD is going for eight bucks. Nice.

Other blends too, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.