What are you snuffing?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Old Mill order arrived. Sweet. I'm going to have to do some kind of mini reviews of these things (not that I'm worthy). After having all sorts of snuffs in a relatively short time doesn't give me any kind of knowledge or experience base to do justice to these...but as they say, I know what I like.

Typical well reviewed Gawith, Toque, etc. snuffs provide one or maybe two scents that may or may not enhance the tobacco base.

The few Old Mill snuffs I've tried so far literally explode with co-mingled flavors and play off a melange of artisan tobaccos. The flavors aren't necessarily strong...but they are distinct and delicious. 

Marlin Spike: Of the mix of tobaccos I catch what I identify as a sweet Red VA the most clearly...and around that swirl subtle flavors of dark chocolate, slightly spicy whiskey and perhaps caramel. Then step outside and the whole thing goes crazy. 45 min. in and I was still getting noticeable aromas.

Acadia: Five tobaccos, no sauce, heavy Perique. There's a deep tobacco base here and the Perique sits on top waving it's hat, laughing. Slight pepper in the background. Overall it's subtle. C'est ce bon, Cher!

Got two more to try out. Alas, it's hard work. But you know about that!

Marlin is on my to-try list.

If you ever want something funky in the absolute best way possible, add some Ecrous Brulee or Spotted Dick to your next order. The good chef uses actual butter when prepping his tobacco base, and BOY does it come through (especially in the EB). Not "buttery," not synthetic in anyway - it's like having a nose full of the various aroma carried forward on a very real butter base. It's the most brilliant thing I've ever experienced in a snuff. There's a YouTube guy out there who calls Old Mill "nose food," and he's dead on the money.

So, isn't butter or oil a common ingredient in many German style or Schmaltzler snuffs...but 'illegal' in the UK? 

The Marlin Spike is amazing...as is the Cajin snuff, the Tempete. They're similar in some ways...mixed tobacco base with either Rye Whiskey or Rum as the wetting agent. And each one has an astonishing lasting aspect...45 min., an hour, or longer, and the aromas are still very noticeable.

Blackhorse":g97t3xih said:
Marlin Spike: Of the mix of tobaccos I catch what I identify as a sweet Red VA the most clearly...and around that swirl subtle flavors of dark chocolate, slightly spicy whiskey and perhaps caramel. Then step outside and the whole thing goes crazy. 45 min. in and I was still getting noticeable aromas.
Man.

That sounds good.

Blackhorse":s03cfhoi said:
So, isn't butter or oil a common ingredient in many German style or Schmaltzler snuffs...but 'illegal' in the UK? 
Oil yes, but I don't think they actually use butter (or, in Chef Daniel's case, locally sourced Amish butter). Is it illegal in the UK? I didn't know that, but it would explain why none of the British houses have schmaltzler-style snuffs. Hmmm...interesting.

Don't take MY word for it...that's just hearsay. But given the UK's typically strict stance re purity of ingredients it wouldn't surprise me much.

Given the first four I received... Acadia, Marlin Spike, Tempete & Noctourne...I'm placing them in that order re favored status, with Acadia and Marlin Spike being a flat tie. Pretty amazing items all around though.

Butternut Toast uses the same Amish butter. He ran out, but man it is delicious.

Some Schmalzlers had a bit of lard in them I do believe. They do go well with properly made Refried Beans.

I took a few snuff days off. Celebrating St. Patrick's with a wee bit of Irish Toast 22 to go with my pipe of Dark Star. Not a bad multiplier. And I do taste an even number.

gravel":3hyzi6n7 said:
Butternut Toast uses the same Amish butter. He ran out, but man it is delicious.
Speaking of BNT, that what be in my nose this morning. Taking a break from Greyhound.

Dholakia Swiss Chocolate with some bad office coffee.. Been a long day.

This snuff is definitely on my short "next purchase" list.

DrumsAndBeer":84e9325f said:
Dholakia Swiss Chocolate with some bad office coffee.. Been a long day.

This snuff is definitely on my short "next purchase" list.
Joining you on that Swiss Chocolate. So good.

My very first snuff order arrived today and my first snuff had to be a coffee snuff.

Poschl Grado it is.
Teeny tiny amount (then doubled up as it was far too little).

Nice tingle, very nice aroma, easy to take

So far so good

Status
Not open for further replies.